Article Cultivating Self-Love and Self-Care by Brad Austen (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Brad

Spiritual & Meditation Teacher
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
www.mindful-meditations.com
In my experience, I’ve found relationships and friendships often reflect back to me lessons relating to my self–love or lack-thereof. Many of us are somewhat co-dependent and often seek another to fill a gap in our lives. In school or life in general, we often aren’t taught about cultivating our own sense of self-love or self-care; we often expect it from others. Often, many of our traumas stem from being wounded by a love one, sometimes our parents, or a partner. However, sometimes these traumas are blessings in disguise, because they can teach us many valuable life lessons about self-love. They can make us stronger, more resilient and more empathic because we know what it is like to suffer. We don’t want others to feel this way or go through what we went through, so we become more compassionate towards others.

Cultivating self-love takes inner work, and usually we have to identify with our self-esteem or a past trauma that affected us deeply. One way of effectively doing this is by listening to or affirming positive affirmations on self-love. Learning to become your own best friend in life is important, because people will come and go, but you’re with you for life. If you don’t like or respect yourself, it isn’t uncommon to attract similar people that won’t respect or treat you well. However, this can also be a good indictor to your own sense of self and worth. It’s okay to have room for improvement, because ultimately, we all are a ‘work-in-progress’.

Perhaps you’ve identified that you’d like to love yourself more. There are many ways to do this, I will share some examples. Explore and find things that you’re passionate about and take steps to do them in your life. Reward yourself often; this could be something nice to eat or a gift to show yourself that you are worthy of love. Learn to set boundaries with negative or toxic people or people that always ‘take’ but don’t give much in return. Spent time in nature or exercise doing something you enjoy to increase feel-good hormones in your body. Spend time with animals or with your pet to feel the love they have for you.

Self-care is also important in life, to learn and appreciate your body, mind and soul. Modern living and the hustle and bustle of life has become quite fast paced and stressful. We all need money and to make a living, so learning stress management techniques can be helpful. As well as getting enough sleep, exercise, sun and time for relaxation and leisure are important. Sometimes, having a high paying corporate job can be demanding and stressful, that some may prefer doing something else at a slower pace. For me personally, I value my health and a slower pace of life, more than my bank balance, but we are all different with different financial commitments.

I believe to be healthy in life and lead a balanced life; we need to cultivate self-love in order to be happy. Our happiness is our responsibility, and something that comes from within, not really our external circumstances. Material possessions can give us fleeting happiness and excitement, but ultimately our happiness and self-love is an inside job. If you have past trauma blocks that you feel are preventing you from experiencing the love and happiness you deserve, then seeking some professional help is a good place to start. For others, reading some self-help books may be a more preferable path. Talking to a trusted friend or joining a support group can also be helpful. There are many paths to healing and for many it can be a life-long endeavour. The trick is taking one step at a time, and not feeling overwhelmed by emotions or expectations. It’s completely okay to be a work-in-progress and not have everything figured out!

https://www.mindful-meditations.com

Brad is an intuitive writer, channel, spiritual and meditation teacher and recording artist. He is passionate about writing and producing guided meditations to aid relaxation, healing and spiritual growth.

By Brad Austen © 2023.

• Fine Post! (RT Award)
Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)